Nootropics are substances that enhance learning and memory while protecting the brain. The term nootropics means “towards the mind” and is defined a class of substances specifically targeting higher-level, integrative activity of the brain.
To be defined as a nootropic a substance must meet all of the following characteristics:
- Enhance learning and memory
- Protect the brain from physical or chemical injury
- Enhance the firing mechanisms of neurons
- Have few side effects and extremely low toxicity
- Prevent the disruption of memory formation from conditions which tend to disrupt them.